The most common silver-bearing minerals recovered by flotation are argentiferous galena, native silver, argentite (Ag2S) and tetrahedrite (Cu,Fe,Ag) Sb4S3). Often these minerals float with the base metals such as copper and lead sulphides or are the primary target mineral (tetrahedrite).
Silver market basics
Silver price latest:
Click HERE to view latest price trends
- GFMS-Precious Metals Research & Consultancy
- The Silver Institute
- iShares Silver Trust (ETF) [AMEX:SLV]
- Silver demand: When investment trumps industrial - 13 September 2013
|Rank||Country||World Mine Production, By Country (Metric tons)|
|23||Papua New Guinea||52|
|28||Iran, Islamic Republic Of||25|
|29||Korea, Democratic People's Republic Of||20|
|33||Tanzania, United Republic Of||12|
|46||Korea, Republic Of||1.5|
Fresnillo Mine, Mexico
Top 3 Primary Silver-producing Mines of 2012
- Coeur d'Alene Mines Corporation [NYSE:CDE] announced in May 2007 the takeover of Australian headquartered Bolnisi Gold NL and Palmarejo Silver and Gold of Canada, to form what Coeur described would be the world's leading primary silver producer. The deal is worth $1.1 billion. Coeur's big target in the merger deal is Bolnisi and Palmarejo's Palmarejo project in Mexico which is scheduled to start producing some 12 million ounces of silver a year and 110,000 ounces of gold with production possibly commencing in early 2008. It is considered that when in production it will be one of the largest, single silver mines in the world with the potential of becoming the lowest cost silver producer. Output from Palmarejo would nearly double Coeur's production levels by 2009 when the company is expected to produce around 32 million ounces of silver and 290,000 ounces of gold. Overall, the company would then possess a mineral resource base of over 364 million oz of measured and indicated silver mineral resources (inclusive of silver mineral reserves) and 96,6 million oz of inferred silver mineral resources as well as 3.4 million ounces of measured and indicated gold mineral resources and 0,95 million ounces of gold inferred mineral resources.
- Peñoles [PE&OLES.MX] mines in Mexico and claims it operates the world’s richest underground silver mine (Fresnillo), the richest underground gold mine (La Ciénega), the largest open-cut gold mine (La Herradura) and the largest under ground zinc mine (Francisco I. Madero) in Mexico.
- Pan American Silver Corporation (Canadian), founded in 1994, expects its silver production to grow to 25 million oz per year by 2009. Pan American achieved record production of 17.1 million oz in 2007. In 2002, the Company owned and operated four silver producing assets. By the end of 2006, it had grown its portfolio to seven operating mines, with an eighth under construction. The company mines in Argentina, Bolivia, Chile and Peru. Indicated and measured reserves in 2006 amounted to 81,433 million oz