Click on CHART to view recent price trends
- International Lead and Zinc Study Group
- London Metal Exchange (LME)
- Shanghai Futures Exchange (SHFE)
|Rank||Country||World Mine Production, By Country (Metric tons, zinc content of concentrate and direct shipping ore, unless otherwise specified)|
|14||Iran, Islamic Republic Of||100,000|
|19||Korea, Democratic People's Republic Of||65,000|
|24||Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic Of||32,000|
|30||Congo, The Democratic Republic Of The||16,000|
|35||Korea, Republic Of||4,000|
|37||Bosnia and Herzegovina||2,000|
|39||Lao People's Democratic Republic||1,000|
- Yunnan Chihong Zinc & Germanium Co Ltd mines in China
- Huludao Zinc Industry Co. Ltd mines in China
- Glencore mined 1.4 million tonnes in 2013 and expected it to rise to 1.6 million tonnes by 2016, making it the leading producer globally. Its smelter production was ~1.36 million tonnes.
- Teck Cominco Ltd (Canadian, NYSE:TCK; TSX:TCK-A) operates the Red Dog zinc and lead mine in Alaska, the largest zinc mine in the world, under an agreement with the NANA Regional Corporation Inc., and is a 22,5% shareholder in the Antamina copper and zinc mine in Peru, which is the world’s seventh largest zinc concentrate producer. The company also operates the Pend Oreille zinc mine in Washington, USA. Teck Cominco also produces refined zinc, lead and specialty metals from its Trail metallurgical complex in British Columbia. Zinc production is approximately 295,000 tonnes of zinc metal per year. Proven reserves at Red Dog are 19,500,000 t at 20,5% Zn; at Antamina 76,000,000 t at 1,4% Zn and at Pend Oreille 4,300,000 t at 7,1% Zn.
- BHP Billiton (NYSE:BHP) operates the Antamina mine, Peru (33,75%) producing copper and zinc concentrates and the Canningtonmine, Australia (100%) producing lead and zinc concentrates with high silver content. Cannington is the world's largest and lowest cost single mine producer of both silver and lead.
- Zinifex Ltd (Australian, ASX:ZFX) mines in Australia at the open cut Century Mine (lead and zinc concentrates) in Queensland and the Rosebery Mine in Tasmania (zinc, lead, silver, gold and copper.) The company owns four primary smelters: the Hobart zinc smelter in Tasmania, the Port Pirie lead and zinc smelter in South Australia, the Budel zinc smelter in the Netherlands, and a zinc smelter in Clarksville, Tennessee, in the United States. Century mine produced 520,327 tonnes of zinc metal in concentrate in 2003. Zinifex and Belgian metals group Umicore agreed in April 2007 to combine their $4 billion worth of smelting assets into a company to be called Nyrstar. It is expected to list on the Euronext exchange, incorporated in Belgium and headquartered in London.As the world's biggest zinc metal producer, Nyrstar will produce about 1,2 million metric tons of zinc and zinc alloys annually, or about 10% of the world supply. In May, 2007,asubsidiary of Zinifex Ltd, Zinifex Canadian Enterprises Ltd, acquired 95 per cent of Canada's Wolfden Resources Inc, which has projects in the Nanavut territory of Canada, including the Izok and High Lake copper, zinc, gold and silver deposits,
- Sociéte Algérienne du Zinc (State) operates the Ghazaouet zinc mine and refinery in the northwest of Algeria. It is producing 30,000 t per year.
- Terramin Australia Ltd has a 65% interest in the Oued Amizour zinc project, in the north of Algeria, 270 km east of Algiers and 10 km south of the port city of Bejaia. The state corporation ENOF (Entreprise Nationale des Produits Miniers non ferreux et des Substances Utiles) is the joint venture partner. Initial drilling confirmed the potential of the Tala Hamza Zn-Pb depositTerramin reported high-grade zinc drilling assays from the Tala Hamza deposit in April, 2007.
- Mount Burgess Mining N.L. is exploring the Kihabe zinc project, located 700 kilometres north west of Gaborone on the Namibian border in “Ngamiland” Botswana. The prospecting licence covers a fault-bounded Proterozoic-aged carbonate sub basin and a significant zinc, lead and silver soil geochemical anomaly is being drilled.
Perkoa is a volcanogenic massive sulphide (VMS) deposit.
- AIM Resources (Australian) is developing the Perkoa zinc project which has a proven and probable reserve of 6,3 million t with a grade of 14,5% zinc at a 9 % cut-o ff , making the deposit, which is open to a depth of 600 m, equate to 907,700 t of contained zinc.
Skorpion Zinc is a non-sulphide zinc deposit owned by Ambase Exploration (Namibia) (Pty) Ltd, which is located in the southern part of the Namib Desert, approximately 40 km north of the Orange River. The so-called Skorpion belt of zinc-lead copper-barite prospects is hosted by volcano-sedimentary rocks of the Gariep Complex, northwest of Rosh Pinah. The Skorpion zinc deposit represents an initial rift phase with crustal extension and strong vertical tectonics, associated with subaqueous, mixed siliciclastic-carbonate sedimentation. It is a shallow subhorizontal body comprising secondary zinc silicate and carbonate minerals like smithsonite, hemimorphite, hydrozincite and sauconite.
Supergene ore-forming processes at Skorpion appear to involve wallrock-replacement as well as saprolitic accumulations and minor in-situ replacement. Mining is open cast-type and the unusual zinc-silicate and carbonate ore is treated by direct acid leach, solid liquid separation, a unique zinc solvent extraction and electro-winning to produce high-purity zinc on site at low cost. (Geological Survey of Namibia)
- Exxaro mines the Rosh Pinah deposit, situated in south-western Namibia, 800 km south of Windhoek. Exxaro holds 89,5% in Rosh Pinah with Namibian empowerment groupings holding the balance. Negotiations are under way to divest of a further 39,5% to Namibian empowerment groupings. The mine produces 126,000 t per annum of zinc concentrates, fully sold to Exxaro’s zinc refinery. Exploration is under way to add to the remaining mineral resource of 7 million t (or a life of 6 years) at an average grade of 8,68% zinc and 2,25% lead. The mine has entered into an exploration agreement with Ambase Exploration (Namibia) (Pty) Limited (Anglo American) which will allow the two companies access to select areas under each other’s prospecting permits for exploration.
- Anglo American mines the Skorpion deposit and produces 150,000 tons of special high grade zinc per annum. It has estimated proven and probable reserves of 21,4 million t grading at 10,5% zinc. The Skorpion zinc mine and refinery is near Rosh Pinah, in southern Namibia and approximately 85 km north-east of Oranjemund and 25 km north of Rosh Pinah.
- Anglo American mines the Black Mountain deposit. Black Mountain is a lead, zinc, copper and silver operation, situated in the Northern Cape Province of South Africa. Black Mountain's proven and probable reserves (2001) stood at 12,7 million t grading at an average of 1,8% zinc and 4,38 % lead in 2001. It also owns the Gamsberg deposit. Gamsberg is a large zinc deposit located approximately 20 km west of the Black Mountain mine. It is forecast that Gamsberg will produce 300,000 tonnes per annum of zinc metal at capacity.
- Albidon Ltd holds extensive tenement interests that are prospective for zinc and lead in north-central Tunisia, covering 4,000 square kilometres including the historical zinc mining district of Bou Aouane at the Nefza project area in the north west of the country. It has signed an option and earn-in letter with Zinifex Ltd for exploration and development of the zinc projects. Zinifex may earn a 51% interest in the projects through the expenditure of US$6 million on exploration within three years. The company may then spend a further SU$5 million within two years to earn a total interest of 70%. Albidon may thereafter elect to contribute to project expenditures in proportion to its 30% interest or sell its interest for cash plus a retained royalty.