The Moolmans organization, an operating group within The Aveng Group, began open pit mining in the late 1970's. Moolmans currently (2007) works on eleven projects in six African countries, moving more than 13 million tonnes of material monthly. Current projects include:
- Sadiola Hill Gold Mine. Sadiola Hill Gold Mine is situated in the West of Mali, in the semi arid Sahel region of the country. The Contract was awarded in March 1996.
- Siguiri Gold Mine. Siguiri Gold Mine is situated in the east of Guinea just 100 kilometers from the Mali border. The contract was awarded early in 1997 and mobilisation began soon afterwards.
- Klipbank Colliery. The Klipbank contract is an opencast strip mine situated approximately 20 km outside of Middelburg in the Mpumlanga Province, South Africa.
- Yatela Gold Mine. Yatela Gold Mine is situated in the west of Mali, in the semi arid Sahel region of the country. The contract was awarded in May 2000 and the life of mine has been extended for a number of years. The client is AnglogoldAshanti.
- Phoenix Mine. Phoenix Mine is situated 45 kms east of Francistown and 4 kilometres from Botswana's north-eastern border with Zimbabwe. The client is Tati Nickel Mining Company (Pty) Ltd, which is owned by LionOre (85%) and the Government of Botswana.
- Kriel Mine. Kriel Mine is in the Mpumalanga province about 18km north of the town of Kriel in South Africa. Moolmans provides a full mining service to Anglo Coal in the minipits where their draglines cannot operate efficiently.
- Sishen Iron Ore Mine. The Sishen Iron Ore Mine is situated 49 kilometres west of Kuruman in the Northern Cape, South Africa. The contract commenced in April 2006 and runs until June 2008 with the possibility of an extension. T
- Langer Heinrich Uranium Mine. The Langer Heinrich Uranium Mine is located in the west of central Namibia. It lies 85km east of Swakopmund with seaport access to nearby Walvis Bay. The client is Langer Heinrich Uranium (Pty) Ltd.
- Dukwe Copper Project. Dukwe Copper Mine is located 130km north of Francistown, Botswana. Prestripping commenced in May 2007 with a team of scrapers. Planning and mobilisation are currently underway and the main mining contract will commence shortly.
Shaft Sinkers (Pty) Ltd, is the African continent's most experienced mining contractor in:
* Shaft Sinking
* Mining Contracting
* Underground Construction
* Large underground excavations
* Design, consulting and draughting
* Engineering, Procurement, Contract Management (EPCM)
Benicon Opencast Mining
As mining contractors, Benicon can supply the full range of mining operations, covering the movement and management of all aspects of overburden removal and coal extraction to specified production
budgets including all drilling and blasting operations together with the movement and management of the mine rehabilitation program to EMPR specifications.
The company is involved with opencast mining and rehabilitation. Schamin is one of the major suppliers of outsourced mining and rehabilitation in the South African coal-mining industry. Its principle clients are BECSA (BHP Billiton Energy Coal South Africa), EXARRO and UMCEBO
“It will not be viable for us to relocate the remaining assets in the DRC to other operations owing to the high cost of demobilising the equipment across borders.
MCC Open Cast Mining Contractors
In 1986 the MCC Group branched into open-cast mining and now carries an impressive portfolio, especially in terms of chrome, platinum, gold and base minerals recovery. The deposit can be mined by us on your behalf, we design and implement the mining plan and deliver their final product at the most economical cost per cubic meter or ton. In depth project planning, rehabilitation, surface blasting, hard rock mining and ore recovery are all part of our complete mining package.